Saturday, October 3, 2015

Day 3: Live from New York

Certain favorite bloggers of mine have taken up the assignment of blogging 31 days in a row (#write31days), and in an attempt to re-galvanize my own writing, I decided to join in the fun. The idea behind this particular blog-a-thon is to be as real and vulnerable as possible, which is (almost) always a healthy exercise. I've tried blogging marathons in the past (to varying degrees of success), and my seminary schedule does not allow for much flexibility. so the process may be fitful or short-lived, but it couldn't hurt to try!


Day 3: Live from New York (by way of Princeton)


I'm firing this one out between the end of tonight's SNL Vintage episode on NBC (the Mick Jagger-helmed Kristen Wiig send-off at the end of season 37) and the beginning of this season's premiere in a half hour. Sure, Miley's hosting, but she's put in some funny sketches the couple times she hosted. She may be a polarizing figure, but I'll reserve judgment, because more than anything I'm just excited to see one of my all time favorite shows back for the season. It's been a disorienting couple months for me, quitting all my jobs, moving across the country and starting school again, but if something as simple and silly as a comedy show can provide some stability, a little return to routine, I'm grateful for it.

Obviously SNL is a national institution, but it's also something of an institution in my family. My mom's been watching since it first premiered in 1975, and once my sister, my cousin and I came of age it was appointment viewing for us. Indeed, this year makes seven that I have watched SNL every Saturday (or as close to it as possible after the fact). You heard right: in six years I have not missed an episode. And I'm not about to start now. 

I remember one Saturday my senior year when I was at a leadership retreat at the Sun River resort in Bend, Oregon. Surrounded by my peers for a whole weekend, I still disrupted my schedule and carved out time to watch the show. Taylor Swift hosted and was musical guest. They did a Frankenstein/Twilight parody. It was amazing. I invited my friends to join in, even announcing it during a leadership meeting, but come 11:30 I was the only one in the living room. And I don't regret it a bit.

In undergrad it was tough to catch SNL live (which is kind of an essential part of it) because we didn't have cable, but I found ways to make it work. I always find a way for SNL. Then too I would often invite my housemates or college chums to watch with me, and from time to time they did, but even if not, they knew better than to invite me to do anything on Saturday night.

As I mentioned a couple days ago, things are tough in my home state of Oregon right now, and I'll bet there are plenty of people who don't feel like laughing. But that's when it's most important to laugh. As Anne Lamott says, "laughter is carbonated holiness." It helps revitalize us when our joy is depleted. So tune into NBC at 11:30. 

It's getting started now. Hey, is that Donald Trump?

No comments:

Post a Comment