Day 26: The Essentials

Certain favorite bloggers of mine have taken up the assignment of blogging 31 days in a row (#write31days), and in an attempt to re-galvanize my own writing, I decided to join in the fun. The idea behind this particular blog-a-thon is to be as real and vulnerable as possible, which is (almost) always a healthy exercise. I've tried blogging marathons in the past (to varying degrees of success), and my seminary schedule does not allow for much flexibility. so the process may be fitful or short-lived, but it couldn't hurt to try!

Day 26: The Essentials


This afternoon I had a professor ask one of my classes a question which has since captivated my attention. He requested each student in the class identify the five essentials of Christianity. I had an answer right away, but after texting a few friends the same question I've come to re-evaluate my answer.

Whereas I processed the question more as "What are the five most crucial aspects or components of the Christian life?", my friends all provided the five most important ideas to the faith.

And I adored their answers. So while I'm still processing my own answer, I wanted to share theirs, as raw data for my investigation into the heart of Christian faith and practice.

To be clear the specific question I asked was: What are the five most important things about Christianity? (Or: the first five things you would teach a new Christian)


THE FIVE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS ABOUT CHRISTIANITY


T: 1. The indescribable love God has for us, that everything we do and are has to stem from the fact that we are beloved by the author of love itself; and how important that is to pass on to everyone in our lives; and how important it is to go out of our way to extend that love.

2. Salvation in eternity and really here on earth only comes through an intimate relationship with Jesus

3. The Holy Spirit as comforter, friend, sanctifier. His goal to lead us to real prayer, meditation and intimacy with Christ and His bride

4. The authority of scripture and its power to keep us connected/growing in and with Christ. It's usefulness for meditation, increased intimacy with the Father, for discovering truths about God and man and how to use it as a weapon of love and not judgement.

5. The calling for all Christians to co-labor with Christ



L: 1. God loves us and wants to have a relationship with us 

2. we need to recognize that there's a disconnect between us and God and we need something beyond ourselves to restore us to a healthy relationship with God and each other. 

3. Having a relationship with Jesus is the way to restore that relationship. 

4. We can't follow Jesus by ourselves. We need a community of believers that we can pursue Jesus with. 

5. The critical doctrinal points like the dual natures of Christ, and the trinity


S: 1. God is all powerful and all loving. 

2. All people are made in the image of God. 

3. All people are infected with sin.

4. Jesus Christ saves us from our sin and gives us eternal life. 

5. The Holy Spirit lives in all of us.



And boiled down:

T: 1. Love
2. Salvation/Jesus
3. Holy Spirit
4. Scripture
5. Work of Christ

L: 1. Love
2. Sin
3. Relationship
4. Community
5. Doctrine

S: 1. Love
2. Imago Dei
3. Sin
4. Salvation/Jesus
5, Holy Spirit

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Most Unexpectedly Theological Films of 2016

Jordan's Top 20 Films of 2016

Listening and Resisting: Life in Trump's America