Friday, October 16, 2015

Day 16: Stances

Certain favorite bloggers of mine have taken up the assignment of blogging 31 days in a row (#write31days), and in an attempt to re-galvanize my own writing, I decided to join in the fun. The idea behind this particular blog-a-thon is to be as real and vulnerable as possible, which is (almost) always a healthy exercise. I've tried blogging marathons in the past (to varying degrees of success), and my seminary schedule does not allow for much flexibility. so the process may be fitful or short-lived, but it couldn't hurt to try!

Day 16: Stances


I am a Christian, but I recognize within my faith tradition the potential for tremendous harm and abuse. I do not condone all the behaviors of those purporting to speak or act on behalf of my God.


I follow Jesus, but I do not regard with suspicion those outside my faith tribe.


I am an evangelical, but this does not impel me to dismiss or pick apart Christians from other traditions, or non-Christians for that matter.


I believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God, but I do not believe it is my duty, nor my right to police how other Christians read and interpret it.


I am pro-life, but for me this ethic extends beyond just abortion to issues like war and the death penalty.


I believe the world was fashioned by a loving creator, but I do not purport to know more about matters of science than scientists do.


I believe in sin, in the broken condition of humanity, but I do not believe sin cancels out the fact we are each made in the image and likeness of God and are of immeasurable value.


I believe in personal liberties, but I do not believe the ability to obtain and possess assault weapons without legal supervision should be among them.

I also affirm marriage rights for all people regardless of their sexual orientation. I recognize the variety of theological convictions regarding marriage but I do not believe this should have any bearing on whether or not same sex partners should be able to marry under the law.

No comments:

Post a Comment