My Advent Playlist Day 9: O Christmas Tree

So last year I blogged through the entire month of December to celebrate Advent season, and all in all it was a pretty successful venture! I felt very much plugged into the spirit of the season, and learned a thing or two about myself along the way. On the other hand, it almost killed me, so this year I embark on the same quest with no small amount of trepidation. I figured I could mitigate some stress, though, by messing with the formula a little. So this year I'm using Christmas carols as thematic springboards for my Advent blog posts. Each day I will pick a line from a Christmas carol and reflect on its meaning in the context of my/our experience with Christmas this year.


O Christmas Tree


This year I had to take the Christmas tree thing into my own hands. I didn't trust the democratic process to yield the necessary results, so I made an executive order and took the necessary steps on my own.

Not too shabby, huh?
I don't blame my roommates for dragging their feet in getting set up for Christmas. They've got stuff going on. For instance, Tony is getting married at the end of the week. Ya know, for instance.

Under ideal conditions we would have made a big ado about the tree decoration. We did last year, and it's one of my fonder memories from my time in this apartment. But things are changing now. No time for big decorating parties. No time for the silly little things.

But I need my Christmas tree. I need the glow of strings of lights draped along the walls. I need it to look like Christmas in here. Because by month's end I'll lose both my roommates and things will never be like this again. But I can at least have a Christmas tree.

O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree
How lovely are thy branches


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Most Unexpectedly Theological Films of 2016

Jordan's Top 20 Films of 2016

Listening and Resisting: Life in Trump's America