My Advent Playlist Day 2: It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

So last year I blogged through the entire month of December to celebrate Advent season, and all in all it was a pretty successful venture! I felt very much plugged into the spirit of the season, and learned a thing or two about myself along the way. On the other hand, it almost killed me, so this year I embark on the same quest with no small amount of trepidation. I figured I could mitigate some stress, though, by messing with the formula a little. So this year I'm using Christmas carols as thematic springboards for my Advent blog posts. Each day I will pick a line from a Christmas carol and reflect on its meaning in the context of my/our experience with Christmas this year.

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas


If you haven't known me for a whole year, or for whatever reason have never been around me near Christmastime, you'd have no way of knowing what an absolute chestnut I am for the holiday season. Seriously, you will find no more joyous a Jordan any other time of the year. I don't know if it's my warm yuletide memories, or my general propensity for sentimentality, but from Thanksgiving to Boxing Day I'm all pine and nog. You're more likely to hear carols from my lips than spoken words. 

After all:


Verb tense disagreement notwithstanding, this is my holiday motto. Why say it when you can SIIIIIING IIIIIIIT!

For months now I have been overeagerly anticipating the coming of Christmas, and I cannot tell you how soul-soothing it is to finally see the lights strewn about, the nog flavored lattes in every hipster hand, even the schmaltzy store displays. To me it means, at least for this month, we all get to indulge each other in our cheesiest impulses, dress in our most ridiculous sweaters and fight back the darkness with sheer... cheer. 

I love it. I love Christmas.

Granted, for some Christmastime sets an impossibly high standard for seasonal pep, so when circumstances inexorably fail to clear the bar, the gloom sets in hard. This even happens to me sometimes.

So this year let's make it something special... together!

Here, come with me.

Look over there, see the house with the big light display? Check this out, there's a radio station with music that matches the lights!

Oh, look at those carolers! They're so adorable, in their period garb. The tenor's a quarter tone sharp though. Pity.

And here we have a nativity scene, with those precious, inauthentically-Anglo wise men.

Mmm, don't you adore the scent of a tree farm? When I die, I want to be buried in a pine coffin made of old Christmas trees.

The smells, the sounds, the cold. I love the cold. Some say bitter, I say sweet.

That's the thing about Christmas, see? It makes the cold not so cold. That's why we celebrate Jesus' birth at the one time of year when he almost certainly wasn't born. Because we need it. We need a little something to break up the cold and dark.

Look at those lights, those decorations, those trees and families huddled together to keep warm.

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Most Unexpectedly Theological Films of 2016

Jordan's Top 20 Films of 2016

Listening and Resisting: Life in Trump's America