My Advent Playlist Day 11: Star of Wonder

So last year I blogged through the entire month of December to celebrate Advent season, and all in all it was a pretty successful venture! I felt very much plugged into the spirit of the season, and learned a thing or two about myself along the way. On the other hand, it almost killed me, so this year I embark on the same quest with no small amount of trepidation. I figured I could mitigate some stress, though, by messing with the formula a little. So this year I'm using Christmas carols as thematic springboards for my Advent blog posts. Each day I will pick a line from a Christmas carol and reflect on its meaning in the context of my/our experience with Christmas this year.

So this is a re-post of a poem I wrote last year about the Christmas star, but I'm just one person after all. Give me this one.

The Star (Star of Wonder)

By Jordan Magill

Winter night, air is cold
And clear
You can see your breath
And clear on to the other side of the galaxy

Lo, new light where nothing else is new
An astronomical anomaly
Chart-makers take notice
And wander near from far to see

A new dancer in the cosmic choreography
Pulsing, twinkling, knowing, guiding
The steps spell out out an invitation
For all who long and ache to be

And singing
A song of birth and of renewal
Creation groans in agreement
Sheep and shepherds bow with bended knee

The notes are old and new and older and newer
From before and after time
And now, in this precious moment
The spheres ring out a harmony

Infinity touches down
Clothed as a babe
But seated still on high, low and high
Three in one and one in three

Star of Bethlehem


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm With Her (And Not With Him)

When Theology Kills: Reflections on Orlando

5 Most Unexpectedly Theological Films of 2016