Advent Day 6: Bad Snow Day

This year I'm blogging through Advent season. The goal is to put up a shorter post every day in December on topics related to the holiday, and I'd like to toy with some different media (music, poetry, art). I may not stay faithful to the format, we'll see, but I'd thank you to come along on the journey with me anyway. I hope this can enhance your Christmas experience as I'm sure it will mine.

Ugh. What a day. I was all set to come home from my two hour shift at juvy and write a piece on the romance and mystery of snow. And then a whole lot of janky biz happened. And I now feel ambivalently about snow.

Let me set the stage for you: I'm all ready to jet on home after a typically uneventful shift in the holding room between the courtroom and detention, when I get called downstairs for a medical transport.

Medical transport - When a groupworker (me) drives a youth, who is in need of immediate medical attention, to the hospital in a county car (replete with cage separating front from back, you've seen movies).

Just so you know, I had never, until today, done a medical transport. Why they sent the newbie out on the snowy roads I'll never know.

So naturally I pop out onto MLK BLVD and immediately start to dovetail. The Crown Victoria was not made for snow travel. My Nissan handles better.

Instead of spiraling out of control I manage to maneuver the car so it just bangs into the curb a little. Then I just get back on the road and I'm all the way over the bridge to Broadway when the car stops moving. Assuming it's stuck behind a little mound of ice, I keep trying to pump the gas but the back wheels just spin out while the front refuse to budge, until a man pulls over and lets me know my front right tire is completely flat.

Me, a youth in need of medical attention and a car we couldn't even push off the road.

So I close my eyes, slow the world down and say the Jesus prayer before I do anything else.

Then I get to make the fun phone call where I tell the powers that be that I couldn't make it two miles to the hospital, that I got their car stuck on one of Eugene's busiest roads in the middle of snow traffic.

So I make the call. And nobody's thrilled about the situation but they don't chew me out either. They just promise to send help.

Then, a surprisingly little while longer the nurse from Serbu pulls right in behind me.

"What are you doing? What's going on?" she chirps, incredulous.

"Flat tire. Didn't they send you?"

"No, I was just on my way home!" she laughs. It's nice to hear a little laughter, it dispels some of the more shadowy thoughts crowding my mind.

A little gift of grace: cheery nurse on her way home from work. My supervisor shows up to take care of the car and the nurse drives the youth and me to the hospital, where I spend the next four hours with his mom.

Weird day guys. Weird day. At least I got paid for it.

Comments

  1. Too bad Serbu doesn't get snow days like I do. Ha ha. Good story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm With Her (And Not With Him)

5 Most Unexpectedly Theological Films of 2016

Jordan's Top 20 Films of 2016