Advent Day 16: My Wonderful Mom

This year I'm blogging through Advent season. The goal is to put up a shorter post every day in December on topics related to the holiday, and I'd like to toy with some different media (music, poetry, art). I may not stay faithful to the format, we'll see, but I'd thank you to come along on the journey with me anyway. I hope this can enhance your Christmas experience as I'm sure it will mine.

So here we are again, me whipping out a late-night blog during my down time at work, and you reading it (wink). Things have been a little crazy lately, I apologize if the blogs have been a little lackadaisical for the last few days (with the exception of my sister's stellar contribution). Tonight I don't have a whole lot of time, but given how December 16th is my mother's birthday, I figured I'd write a little tribute to her.


Here's my mama!

And here's her bitstrip (which I made!)

How to describe my mom... Look at me, I feel like I'm writing an elementary school assignment. Anyway, the first word that comes to mind is enthusiasm. Enthusiasm for her children, enthusiasm for her work (debt collecting no less!), enthusiasm for her life. I like to think I take after her in that respect. And if my propensity to dance randomly is any indication, I do.

Second would have to be strength. I can't think of another person who could go through what my mom has and come out the other end smiling. And she has. Tragedy after tragedy, heartache after heartache my mom keeps on trucking with an unhampered joy most of us can only dream of, even those of us who have been through much less. Dr. King once said we know our strength of character once it has been tested by hardship, and by that standard my mom is unflappable. She's a hero.

Finally, I admire her faith. It's been a rocky road for all of us, but I never for a moment saw my mom doubt that God exists and is good. You could no sooner convince her there is no God than talk her into believing Australia is a myth. Some of us really struggle with faith but in my mom I see an assurance I admire more than I can verbalize. I think it's what Jesus meant when he talked about childlike faith.

So here's to my mom, Marilyn Jeanette Magill: a spark of light in a dreary world!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Most Unexpectedly Theological Films of 2016

Jordan's Top 20 Films of 2016

Listening and Resisting: Life in Trump's America