Monday, May 27, 2013

Honey and the Bee

Margie: Did you know scientists have no explanation for how bees can fly? Their bodies are too big and their wings are too small and there's no good reason they can get off the ground at all. But they do. Pretty mysterious, huh?

Ethan: *pause* I think that's an old wives' tale actually. Based off some bad math or something.

Margie: Oh, well... what do you know anyway?

Ethan: Not much, I guess.

Margie: Why can't you let me have my fun?

Ethan: I'm sorry, I...

Margie: Oh it's fine, it's fine! It's just... it's a neat little story. Makes you think there's a little more going on than we realize, ya know?

Ethan: *pause* Well, you know bees communicate by dancing, right?

Margie: Yeah, I think I've heard that.

Ethan: Well that's pretty mysterious, isn't it?

Margie: Well yeah, but it doesn't... defy explanation or anything. It's not miraculous.

Ethan: Isn't it? Why should animals communicate by dancing? I mean, humans don't communicate by dancing.

Margie: *laughs* No, not the way you do it.

Ethan: *smiles* Fair enough. Still, just because it isn't impossible doesn't mean it isn't funny or important or beautiful.

Margie: I guess that makes sense. Like how scientists have a pretty good idea why the sun rises and sets, but that doesn't make it any less beautiful when it does.

Ethan: That's exactly right. There's beauty in the ordinary I think.

Margie: *smiles* *pause* How did you get to be so smart?

Ethan: I keep pretty good company.

No comments:

Post a Comment