Surrender

So I'm writing a song. It's inspired by numerous little conflicts going on in my life right now, none of which are too consequential but it seems they're substantial enough to have gotten me pretty down lately. In addition, I'm aggravating them all considerably by being really bad at one specific thing: surrender. I just don't know when to let go. So here's this. It came a lot faster and it's a lot better than any song I've ever tried to write before. Maybe this means it's meant to be written.

I've only got a verse and a chorus so far. And I'm sorry I can't convey the melody over a blog but I'll let you know it's in 3/4 time (as all my favorite songs are, not that it's one of my favorite songs). Some of the phrases here start on the downbeat, and some are on a pick-up. I also have yet to figure out a chord progression because my guitar is currently out of commission, but the melody is solid, trust me. The breaks in the lines usually signify a small musical break or pause in the melody.

In terms of the the lyrical content, this first verse is mostly an apology to people I've tried to be there for, without much success. I oftentimes just wind up making things worse because I bring all my own weaknesses and hangups into their troubling situations. This is, again, addressed both to specific people in my life as well as all my friends and family as a whole:

I'd like to save you
I'd love to help you
I'd like to be there to walk with you through
All of the dark that is clinging to you
But I'm empty, just like you
Possibly, probably, emptier, too
And I'm sorry
I failed you
I know you need more but it's all I can do
Please forgive me


Then a musical break, followed by a crescendo into the chorus. And in this part I mean to be directing my statements and requests to God. I wonder if that would come across in the song without drawing attention to it. The melody is higher than the verses though I suspect the chord progression is the same, but I won't know for certain until I get my guitar working again.

Basically what I'm saying here is I give up trying to be God. I can't be anyone's savior, I can't solve anyone's problems. I surrender all of these struggles and frustrations to Him.

Though I'd love to save the world, we both know I'm just a man
And You've given me these legs now please teach me how to stand
And You give and You take from these now open hands
I surrender

8/8 I've been working more on this song. Here we have another verse, again addressing my fellow man. It's probably a little more specific than that to be frank. Feel free to venture a guess.

All of these voices
All of the whispers
Tell me these lies I don't know what to do
One of the few things I'm sure of is you 
Are my brother
And it's true 
I would lay down my life in a second for you
Please remember

Repeat the chorus:

Though I'd love to save the world, we both know I'm just a man
And You've given me these legs now please teach me how to stand
And You give and You take from these now open hands
I surrender


And here I attempt to go a little noble and global with a rewording of the chorus. 


In the heart of my hearts I know even broken man
Can hold broken hearts together with his broken hands
On the Promise of promises grant me to stand
God my Father
I surrender
All that I am

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm With Her (And Not With Him)

When Theology Kills: Reflections on Orlando

5 Most Unexpectedly Theological Films of 2016